03 September 2010

Skull Flower Hairclip: Text Tutorial


This hair clip is super easy to make, and super customizable.

All you need is polymer clay, fabric flowers, fabric glue, hot glue, a hair clip, and glitter.

A while back, I made about a dozen little skulls out of scrap polymer clay. They were kind of swirly mud colored, but that's okay because I knew I'd paint them eventually. They are super easy to make. I just formed a basic skull shape, then used the end of a paint brush to make the eye sockets and the back a craft knife to make the indents for the teeth.

For this clip, I painted the skull blue and sprinkled glitter on it while the paint was still wet. You could do the same, or use colored polymer clay.
I mixed a little fabric glue and glitter together and painted the edge of the petals with my fabric glitter glue. After it dried, I cut off the plastic bits in the center of the flower, leaving just enough to keep the flower together.
Next, I used my trusty hot glue gun to attach the skull to the center.
I then put a big blob of hot glue on the back to attach the hair clip. I like to use a lot so that it sort of envelopes the clip a bit, making it more secure.

1 comment: