13 August 2010

Bottled Specimens: Version II


Previously, I wrote about creating your own bottled fetus. I also wanted to share another tutorial with you guys on how to make another type of bottled specimen. This time, rather than a fetus, it is a 'mystery specimen.' The tutorial is very clear and concise, with plenty of photos. The author has even included a link to a printable label for your jar (which Lovecraft fans will get a kick out of).
The author discusses things that they would have done differently at the end of the article, such as making the preserving liquid less dark, which I agree completely with. While the darkness and dinginess of the preserving liquid makes it harder for the observer to identify it's contents, it also makes it hard to tell if there is anything in there at all. I do think that sealing the bottle in wax is a great idea, and will have to try that out. I think it lends a bit of a more authentic touch to the whole project.

No comments:

Post a Comment