03 August 2010

Bottled Specimens: Tutorial Link


I've always loved the look of a shelf lined with bottled specimens. I really don't know where this strange interest came from, but whatever. I know that they creep a lot of people out, but my love of all things biology and all things macabre make me want a whole cabinet in my home filled with them.
I would love the real deal, but I will have to settle for fakes. The plus side of creating your own fakes is that you can make either very hard to find specimens, or mythical creatures. I have a long standing love of birth defects and fetus mutations, as well as all things crafty, so DIY bottled specimens are right up my alley.
I have found a wonderful tutorial for faking a mutated fetus specimen, as seen to the right. It can be found here over at the Indy Mogul forums.
This tutorial uses all kinds of fancy materials that are not readily available to me, and is also meant for making many of the same specimen. You could use the concept of this very thorough tutorial to create your own one-offs using polymer clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment